Ingredients10oz/285g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
4oz/110g butter (plus extra for greasing)
8oz/225g caster sugar
2 large eggs (the best you can find, and ensure they are free range)
4 very/over ripe bananas, mashed
3fl.oz/85ml buttermilk (alt: normal milk mixed with 1½ tsp lemon juice)
1 (generous) tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp Nutella
1. Preheat over to 180°C/350°F.
2. Sift dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla essence to the butter and sugar mixture.
5. Fold in flour mixture.
6. Dollop in your Nutella one tablespoon at a time, distributing around the surface of your mixture. Stir through very roughly to create a marble effect.
7. Grease a loaf tin (approx. 8"x 5" or 20cm x 12.5cm) and pour in mixture.
8. Place in the oven to back for approximately 1 hour, or until well-risen, golden brown and leaves a skewer clean when pierced through.
9. Remove from the oven to cool in tin for 10 minutes or so, then turn out to cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
Serving suggestion: You may think me disgusting for suggesting this, but I am a huge fan of combining salt and sweet, so I like to cut a decent slice (c.1.5cm thick) and spread it with a naughty layer of butter. Incredible with a cuppa...